-1 frozen pound cake (or make your own with Martha Stewart Classic Pound Cake)
-5 1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
-1/2 c. milk
-3 tbsp. light corn syrup
-2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract
-Red liquid or paste (icing) food color
-Sprinkles/mini Hershey kisses for decorations.
*You’ll need a heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Using a long, sharp knife, trim rounded hump off poundcake so the top is flat. Trim crust offsides. Slice cake horizontally in half. Cut hearts from each half.
- Put hearts 1 1/2 in. apart on a wire rack set on wax paper to catch drips.
- Icing: Stir ingredients, except food color, in a bowl until smooth and as thin as maple syrup. Divide between 2 bowls; cover 1 bowl with plastic wrap. Tint icing in another bowl pink.
- Spoon pink icing over half the cakes, completely covering tops and sides. Stir drips on wax paper into icing in the bowl; cover airtight. Let icing set 30 minutes. Meanwhile, repeat with white icing on rest of cakes.
- Thin remaining pink and white icings with a little water as needed; give cakes a second coat. Let sit at least 1 hour.
- To decorate: With decorating icing, pipe designs and words on cakes as shown, or create your own designs. Add red sugar and candy hearts.
Decorated cakes can be stored airtight in a single layer at cool room temperature up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months. Thaw uncovered at room temperature.