Nothing beats some hot chili on a cold fall or winter day!
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken (99%)
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder (add another Tbs for more kick)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- Toppings: cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream.
*my husband likes a more variety of beans in ours so I added some northern beans. If you like your chili more spicy add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Next add in ground turkey and break up the meat; cooking until no longer pink. Next add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt; stir for about 20 seconds.
- Next add in tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. Add your favorite toppings! Serve with some warm corn
bread & honey!