Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole
This is a great recipe! So delicious and very healthy for you and your family!
Author: Brewing Wisdom
- 1¾ cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided (I used skim)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided (about 6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch-square baking dish or a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot, then add the rice. Return to a boil, add the broccoli to the top of the rice (no need to stir it together), then cover, reduce the heat to low, and let cook 5 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. Most of the rice liquid should be absorbed.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or other large deep pot over medium-high. Add the chicken, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 4 to 6 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the flour and ½ cup milk into a sauce pan. On medium-high heat, pour the mixture into the pot, then add the remaining 1½ cups milk. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Dijon, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Stir in the Greek yogurt and 1 cup of the shredded cheese until smooth.
- Add the rice and broccoli mixture and the reserved chicken to the cheese sauce, stirring gently to coat. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and top with the remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. ENJOY!