Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
This was a hit in our home!
Author: Brewing Wisdom
- – 2lbs Chicken Breast
- – 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- -1/2 Cup Mild Salsa (Medium if you like it spicy)
- -3-4 Tbs Brown Sugar
- – (1) 4oz. can Mild Diced Green Chilies
- -(1) 14.5 oz. can Diced Tomatoes, Drained ** Very important that you drain!
- – 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- – 1½ teaspoon Salt
- -1 tsp EACH
- ground cumin, garlic powder, onion, powder
- ½ tsp EACH
- *optional smoked paprika, dry oregano, pepper
- -1/2 teaspoon
- ground chipotle chili pepper (optional for more spice)
- -1 Teaspoon Liquid smoke, Hot Sauce to Taste
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add all the of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the hot sauce.
- Cook high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours (I like to cook mine for 6-7hours) or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove Chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5minutes.
- Shred Chicken in a Large Bowl
- Return Shredded Chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb the juices.
- Drain all excess liquid
- Add Hot Sauce to Taste if Desired