Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie
There is nothing more relaxing than a delicious piece of homemade pie! Especially my personal favorite Lemon Meringue Pie on a mid Summer day. I love the smell of freshly squeezed lemons in my home. This recipe is so quick and simple and dairy friendly to those with dairy allergies like myself. Prep Time 20min. Bake Time 10min. Ready to Eat (om nom nom) 40min. Utensils Spatula Whisk Fork
Author: Brewing Wisdom
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Table Spoons of All – Purpose Flour
- 4 Tablespoons of Cornstarch
- ¼ Salt
- 1½ Cups of water (or you could use milk for a more creamier custard)
- 2 or 3 Lemons, Juiced and Zested ( I prefer fresh lemons rather than store bought Lemon Juice).
- 2 Table Spoons of Butter ( you can purchase lactaid butter)
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 4 Egg Whites
- 6 Table Spoons of White Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Set out all of your ingredients (this will save you SO much time)
- Make your lemon pie filling.
- In a medium sauce pan, Whisk together 1 Cup of sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in ½ cup of hot sugar mixture.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- Allow your filling to cool before topping with Meringue.
- Make Meringue
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. ( I loved using my Kitchenaid for this, it basically did all the work for me!)
- Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over pie to the ends of the crust.
- **(to form peaks use a fork and spike up the peaks on top to make a nice texture for your pie)
- Bake Time
- Bake in preheated oven for 10min. or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Let cool in fridge for at least 40min
- Sit on your porch with a favorite beverage/book and enjoy!