Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
After we made our Shredded Mexican Chicken two days ago, we had two leftover chicken breasts. I thought with the cold weather outside some Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup was just the ticket! This soup is also great when you have the flu or a cold.
Author: Brewing Wisdom
- – 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- -1 Medium Yellow Onion
- -3 Cloves of Garlic
- -1/2 lb carrots
- -1/2 bunch celery
- -2 Split Chicken Breasts (Bone-in)
- *Since we had left over boneless chicken breast to use up we just used it instead of the Bone-In. Bone-In Chicken Breast adds more flavor but if you have to use boneless just add chicken soup base to add more flavor. It still tastes great!
- -1 tsp dried basil
- -1 Tbsp dried parsley
- -1/2tsp dreid thyme
- -1 whole bay leaf
- -Freshly cracked pepper
- -2-3 tsp salt
- -6 or 12 oz egg noodles
- Prepare and set out all your ingredients ahead of time! This saves you time and prevents rushing!
- Wash and slice carrots and celery and set aside.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the onion, garlic, and olive oil to a large pot and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and transparent.
- Add carrots and celery to the pot and continue to saute for a few minutes more.
- Pull the skin and excess fat from the chicken breasts. Add the breasts to the pot.
- Add the bay leaf, basil, parsley, thyme, some freshly cracked pepper, and eight cups of water.
- Cover the pot, bring it to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour. Make sure the pot continues to simmer for the whole hour. **If the heat is turned down too low and it is not bubbling away, the chicken will not shred easily.
- After an hour of simmering, remove the chicken from the pot. Using two forks, pull the meat from the bone and shred it slightly. Set Aside
- Season the broth with salt (add Chicken Soup Base if cooked with boneless breasts).
- *Add salt one teaspoon at a time the flavor with the broth will pop soon as the salt is added
- Add the noodles to the pot, turn the heat up to high and boil the noodles until tender (about 7minutes).
- Return Shredded Chicken to the pot.
- Taste and Season again with salt if needed.