So in our latest entry on Sink Cleaning, I mentioned how we avoid using bleach in our home. So just a little history why we prefer making most of our cleaning solutions as opposed to buying them. Most commercial cleaning solutions contain bleach. A year before Jason and I got married, I was working in an environment where I had to use a lot of bleach and cleaning solutions. Growing up, my grandmother never used much bleach in our home and if she did it was usually to kill mold or something, needless to say I was never really around it that much. Eight months before we were married I went to get myself fitted for my wedding gown at our Davids Bridal. All the way driving there I started feeling very light headed and sick thinking that it was just excitement. Boy was I ever wrong! When being fitted as they started to lace up my corset I passed out on the lady and came to with a cup of Chick-Fil-A fruit from the girl’s lunch and with her asking me if I was a diabetic or pregnant. Confused at what just happened I assured her it was no to both questions and that I was feeling ill all the way here. Everyone in my family was busy or had other reasons why they couldn’t be with me that day so it was just Jason and me. I called Jason and told him I had passed out and needed him to come quickly. The ladies at Davids Bridal were so generous, and they put my gown in a large dress bag so Jason wouldn’t see it and helped me to the car. We still needed to pick up a few things while we was in the area and thought I could just walk it off. The more I walked the more dizzy I got and was sweating like crazy! That night when at home I felt like the world was spinning. I had a low temperature and thought it was just the flu. The next morning I had a temperature of 108 and had to go to the ER. After many tubes of blood later and a X-Ray they found a spot on my right lung from pneumonia. Ever since that day, I still have a time breathing and sometimes get confused.
Now to the present day, I was cleaning our bathroom in our home and wanted to try a new scrubbing bubbles. I knew it had bleach in it but didn’t think it would be that bad to use. I began cleaning and wiping down areas and then suddenly I was short of breath and my nose started to burn. I’m not one to freak people out when something happens to my health or well-being. I try to take into my own hands (which is a bad habit). Jason was sitting in the living room and I told him I needed some fresh air. We went out side (30 degree weather) and I tried to breath and the more I tried the more it felt like I was about to pass out. My breathing felt like breathing through a straw and nothing was reaching my lungs. I sat on the couch leaning over as Jason gently pounded my back. I began coughing up some nasty phlegm. If this did not work we was going to head to the ER! My breathing started to improve after putting a blanket over my head and sat above a vaporizer breathing in the hot steam for about 20minutes. As I breathed and coughed I could taste the bleach in my mouth.
Ever since I started making our own cleaning solutions I can breath so much better and the light headed feeling has gone away. I still have trouble breathing and with confusion at times but that is something I will have to deal with because of an issue I let go longer than it should of. So my advice to everyone is to please be careful when using these commercial cleaners from the stores and know what is in them before you buy and use them! There are other alternatives to killing germs than using bleach and I will be showing you how in the upcoming cleaning videos!